Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Wednesday 16 November 2011

{quotable thursdays}

Pinned Image
{pinterest}
Now that I'm officially older & wiser, I think this quote will be my motto for my 30s:

We should be blessed if we lived in the present always, and took advantage of every accident that befell us, like the grass which confesses the influence of the slightest dew that falls on it; and did not spend our time in atoning for the neglect of past opportunities, which we call doing our duty. 
We loiter in winter while it is already spring.

                                                                                          —Henry David Thoreau


Coincidentally, perhaps, my sis, Esther, put this quote by Robert Frost on my birthday card: 


Time and tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of 30. 

Both, I think, are linked.
I hope to spend more time enjoying the present, rather than lamenting things I haven't done, or I didn't do correctly. and I also don't want to always live for 'what's next?' If I've learned anything in my 30 years, it's that the present is what we longed for in the past and what we'll look back as 'rosey' in the future, so why not enjoy it to the fullest while we're living it?
spending time with my niece & nephews this past weekend, I realise we had it right when we were kids. Time was incoherent to us, so we seized on the moment--whether it was the absolute excitement of dressing a dolly or making a fort outside, or screaming our heads off because we can't buy that toy we really really want. the advantage? after a few hours & a new distraction we forget we were ever obsessed with that toy, and we've moved on. lesson learned, well not quite. Somehow we forgot that lesson once we aged. 
As someone who is an extreme planner (miss planner as one of my good friends calls me), I often stress about the future, without appreciating the present. 
Time to live a little more in the present, as time will fly and I'll be 40 before I know it--oh no, is that me thinking ahead again? ;)
so I say, wear a fancy dress on a normal day...don't wait for a special occasion! (even if it's breezy outside): 
Pinned Image
{via pinterest}
do crazy things like drinking champagne, on a fire escape:
champagne via encore une minute
{via coco+kelley}

& jump for joy because you can:

{this one & the one below via maison boheme}


laugh & smile often:
Pinned Image
{from worry about you tumblr, via pinterest}

Cheers to the day you're living right now!
xo
L

No comments:

Post a Comment