Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Thursday 17 December 2015

{quotable thursdays}

{my festive front door!}

Hi all,
Sorry to have been absent from blog land. If you follow my blog regularly, you'll know that my parents have been visiting for the last month, which has been excellent but busy. Busy because they've been refurbishing all my lovely original wood floors (that hadn't seen any love since they were installed in the 1880s), and now they've started on the cabinetry for the bookshelves in the living room! Fantastic!
We will be spending Christmas together at my Dad's cousins in Essex. I love England at Christmastime. It's quaint and beautiful and charming.
So today, a week before Christmas, I thought I'd share a few lines from one of my favourite Christmas carols:

In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan, 
Earth stood hard as iron, 
Water like a stone: 
Snow had fallen, snow on snow 
Snow on snow, 
In the bleak mid-winter, 
Long ago

If you know the words above, you'll probably know that the lyrics were written by Christina Rosetti (of PRB fame) and set to music by Gustav Holst. For a short story behind it, check out this article in the Telegraph. I highly recommend listening to the King's Choir version here.

Here in Blighty, there is such a lovely traditional of carols. We've been to a number of beautiful carol services--at my alma mater the Courtauld (in the beautiful setting of Somerset House) and at the local medieval church, as well as hearing carols & hymns being blared on Classic FM.
{Natural History Museum lights}

{The Savoy}

{my Mum and Dad on the Strand}

{my alma mater}

{Chota House with new floors and looking festive}

It doesn't feel too bleak here as we're having a balmy heatwave (temps in the mid teens), but the feel of Christmas is everywhere and it's beautiful.
We are having a big Christmas party here this weekend. Not sure I'll get time to post pictures before Christmas, but I'll try!
A very merry Christmas to you!
L


No comments:

Post a Comment