Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Thursday 20 July 2017

{quotable thursdays}

{walking to the AAH launch event on Tuesday}
In the past week I've been at two events that give me hope in the discipline I've dedicated my life to. Last Friday I hosted an event for Open Arts Objects,  a project I'm leading, which provides short films and support materials to support the teaching of Art History in schools. (It was held at the charming Art Workers' Guild)
{presenting at the Art Workers' Guild}


For my presentation I put up on the powerpoint an excerpt from our statement that we wrote during the campaign to save the A-level Art History:

One of Art History’s many strengths is that it is fundamentally interdisciplinary. Through the study of art you can learn about gender relations, philosophy, anthropology, sociology or economics, not to mention its important relationship with history. At a time when everyone is glued to their smartphones, looking at images on twitter, Instagram or Facebook, the ability to understand, and more importantly, to be able to analyse critically the wealth of images that bombard us seems more pressing than ever.

It's been hard work but well worth it, and I would say perseverance is the key... Recently I've been busier than ever and feeling rather stressed. But for the first time in my life, I feel like things are starting to fall into place, and the hard work has paid off.


{success}
On Tuesday I was at another event, the launch of the new redesigned Association for Art History (previously the Association of Art Historians). There, once again was a palpable energy...energy in a discipline that is seeking to widen its horizons by expanding global definitions of art, and doing so by teaching a global art history. An Art History for all, not only for a select few. We are a discipline that is seeking to widen participation in every possible way. 
It's exciting times and I'm happy to be apart of it.


{new horizons!}
If you've got time, why don't you check out our really short films? you might learn a thing or two! and not just about art but about the complexities of our world.
xo
L

No comments:

Post a Comment